(photo credit: say-anything-john-cusack by TRF_Mr_Hyde. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode)
In high school and college, I was a total sap for movies about “good” girls falling in love. Especially when their guys looked like Patrick Swayze and John Cusack. And did things like serenade them outside their windows with huge boom boxes.
Just like real life.
Let me live in my fantasy world.
Number 7 isn’t exactly about love but I felt compelled to add it, since it was one of my favorites. Didn’t include Risky Business and Ferris Bueller because I like the girl-centric aspect to the movies I remember loving back then.
Here are ten of the most memorable, in order from my least favorite to my favorite (the descriptions come from imdb.com.):
- Blue Lagoon (1980): In the Victorian period, two children are shipwrecked on a tropical island in the South Pacific. With no adults to guide them, the two make a simple life together, unaware that sexual maturity will eventually intervene.
- Endless Love (1981): A high school student’s love for a 15-year-old girl is thwarted by parental disapproval, circumstance and accident.
- Sixteen Candles (1984): A young girl’s “sweet sixteenth” birthday becomes anything but special as she suffers from every embarrassment possible.
- Pretty In Pink (1986): A poor girl must choose between the affections of her doting childhood sweetheart and a rich but sensitive playboy.
- About Last Night (1986): A man and woman meet and try to have a romantic affair, despite their personal problems and the interference of their disapproving friends.
- Grease (1978): Good girl Sandy and greaser Danny fell in love over the summer. But when they unexpectedly discover they’re now in the same high school, will they be able to rekindle their romance?
- The Breakfast Club (1985): Five high school students, all different stereotypes, meet in detention, where they pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought.
- Some Kind of Wonderful (1987): A young tomboy, Watts, finds her feelings for her best friend, Keith, run deeper than just friendship when he gets a date with the most popular girl in school. Unfortunately, the girl’s old boyfriend, who is from the rich section of town, is unable to let go of her, and plans to get back at Keith.
- Say Anything (1989): A noble underachiever and a beautiful valedictorian fall in love the summer before she goes off to college.
- Dirty Dancing (1987): Spending the summer in a holiday camp with her family, Frances “Baby” Houseman falls in love with the camp’s dance instructor Johnny Castle.
What else would you add?
Feeling the need for an 80’s rom-com marathon soon. Any locals want to join me?
I'd love to hear what you think. Share in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
Please share my posts with your friends by clicking on the FB, Twitter, or email share buttons found below. And if you like what you've read, click on the Facebook like button.
You won't miss a post if you sign up to receive my musings by email (see the sidebar on this page).